Monday 27 February 2017

Late February Report Part 1: Daisy Hill

©©©Late-February Report©©©

Not all water colour images work out as well as you might hope, my most recent illustrations both being quite troublesome.
In these studies I tried to prioritise contrast in the hope that it would add depth and and framing to the images. While a sense of framing was achieved I need to make sure that accuracy to the photography does not come at the expense of depth, as shadows in photographs can be misleading when deciphering form.

DAISY HILL STUDY

Reference image


1. Light pencil and base watercolours


2. Aquarelle sketch



3. Watercolours


4. Pencil on top of watercolours


5. More rendering


Final: outdoor lighting


Final: scan


Final: digital editing 

Another issue I seemed to face with these images was the smothering of the pencil under the heavier watercolour paint. This ended up wasting a lot of time but should be a helpful lesson for future works! 
Depiction of water is also in need of further practice!
Digital editing too!



This is getting a bit long so I will post my second study in the next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment